Bell's Palsy

Dear blog, this is not a blog about makeup or fashion, I hope you don't mind. But it is about something personal. Have you ever heard of Bell's Palsy? Well neither had I, until several years ago. "Bell's Palsy is a paralysis or weakness of the muscles on one side of your face. Damage to the facial nerve that controls muscles on one side of the face causes that side of your face to droop," according to WebMD. I know this happened several years ago, but I feel like it's something I could share maybe someone may be experiencing it right now. In my family I am the one that has been through the most surgeries and experienced the most medical probems; it has not been easy. I always thought "why me," I'm the girl. But you know what I do not want any one from my family to go through those trials because they were not fun. Alright back to Bell's Palsy, I was a Sophomore in college when I suffered from this condition. I was having a pretty good day; I had gone to a professors house to make bread, yummy. Then later that afternoon I went to a friends house to hang out, have some dinner, and watch movies. While I was at my friends house I felt something weird on my face; I was having a difficult time drinking from my cup, so I freaked out a little, but let it go. It wasn't until I got home and I was brushing my teeth that I really got scared. I was rinsing my mouth, but when I tried to spit out the water I had no control over it. I started to cry because I did not know what was going on. Of course I told my husband, and called my parents but there was nothing they could do; we had no idea what was making one side of my face droop. The next day my husband and I went to the nearest clinic to see if they can give us some answers and that is when I first heard of Bell's Palsy. I was in shock and scared, especially when they told me that the cause is not clear. I was prescribed some medicine, but since I couldn't drink from a cup properly, I had to buy straws. I bought the colorful ones, I mean why not be stylish, lol?. I had it for several days, I was so embarrassed to go to class and church, I didn't want people to see me and make fun of me. Let's just say once class was over I went straight home. Eventually it did go away. I don't remember it being painful, it was just weird getting used to not being able to move one side of my face. If you could see me now, you would not even know I had ever had Bell's Palsy, but on some people some of the nerves never return to normal.

Now I'm writing this to say don't get discouraged if you do have Bell's Palsy. You may not feel beautiful, but that doesn't mean your not. I was so scared that I wouldn't leave the house, and I regret that; I should have gone out. I didn't have an infectious disease. It will be hard, I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying to not be scared and to not let others get to you with their mean comments. I had some great people who always had something positive to say to me. Surround yourself with people who will do that for you, lift you up, not put you down. Always remember you always have God. He will always take care of you no matter what the situation may be. Some times we go through situations in life and they are meant to make us stronger and bring us closer to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School

Wish List for Valentines

Week 6 Weight Loss Journey